SLIDER

Our California Roadtrip: My First Half Marathon and Other Shenanigans

Finally, the third and final installment of our trip to Southern California!

*****

We couldn't possibly overlook my dad's 55th birthday while we were there.  We had to celebrate!  Liz put together a great little party with friends and the whole family, of course.  We ate a scrumptious barbeque meal, scarfed down some sugary cake, opened presents, and played volleyball till it got too dark to see.  Happy Birthday, Dad!  We love you and think you deserve more credit than you're probably ever given.

^^Sorry, Lauren!  I couldn't resist posting this picture.  It just makes me laugh every time I look at it!^^

Late Saturday afternoon--after a very tiring trip from Orange County to San Diego (California traffic stinks.  Just sayin'.)--we finally made it to the harbor where my dad keeps his prized possession and latest project: Tide the Knott.  Yes, she's a boat and she's a beauty in progress.  My dad is a retired Navy Commander and I think he feels very at home on the water.  It's quiet and peaceful out on the ocean, plus the lure of excitement and adventure lies just towards the horizon.  I totally get it.  My dad began passing his love of the open water down to me when I was just a little kid.  My dad also possesses some incredible DIY talent, from plumbing to diesel engines to laying tile, he can do it all!  It's just a matter of time before he has her in ship shape and ready for seafaring.  I can't wait!

^^Yo ho!  Thar she be, Tide the Knott^^
 ^^Bow Riders at it again!
The bow is our designated spot.  It's where we sisters have the most fun and sometimes cause some trouble.  Hehe^^
 ^^Jed in the Captain's chair looking through the binoculars backwards^^
^^Levi is so attached to me.  I could never get a good picture of him with anyone else but Joe.^^

After a tour of the boat, we headed down the pier to Pizza Nova for our carb loading dinner in preparation for running a half marathon the following morning.  The pizza and pasta was delicious!  We chowed down on several unique combinations.  I really enjoyed sitting the entire family up to one giant table for one giant meal.  So thanks, family! 

Also, I can't forget to mention how sweet eight year old Brandon was to Jed.  He shared his toys with Jed and looked out for him.  Jed was absolutely awestruck with this new best friend.  It was fun to witness!  Thank you, Brandon. 


And finally, last but not least, the event our entire trip was planned around: America's Finest City Half Marathon.  My step-mom is an avid runner.  Incidentally, this was her twelfth half marathon this year.  Pretty impressive, ya?  I think endorphins love company as she always seems to get excited to involve the family.

It was my very first half marathon.  Bron has ran a couple of races (remember this one?) while I have always been tied up with pregnancy or a new baby.  Well, this summer was my summer to finally rock it!

 ^^We came.  We conquered 13.2 miles.
Bron, Jessie, Dylan, Liz^^

The four of us were up before dawn and ready to go.  Bron and I ran the entire 13.2 miles together and came through the finish line holding hands at 2:08.  Romantic, right?  Totally!  I actually think we got a better time because we ran together; we pushed each other.  And did I mention that the last TWO MILES were uphill?!?  Yes, the last TWO MILES were UPHILL!  Killer. 

We survived to tell the tale and are proud of our time.  Both Bron and I were pretty stiff and sore for a couple of days afterwards, but not too bad.  What surprised me most was how painful it was for my lady parts.  I suppose I'm not done healing from delivering my huge nine pound babies.  Jed ruined me; I'll never be the same again.  Oh well. I'm not sure if I'll ever run another half marathon again, but only time will tell.  I think I'd love to try!

^^I ran America's Finest City Half Marathon with America's Finest Husband at my side.
San Diego is a beautiful city.  My all time favorite.  Duh, it's my hometown!^^

A giant thank you to all who made our trip so wonderful!  Thank you to Dylan who gave up his bedroom for our little family.  And thank you to my dad and Liz who spoiled us rotten, for Joe who loved on my baby boy, for Brandon who took Jed under his wing, and Lauren who always made me laugh.  We love you all!  This trip will go down in history as one for the books for sure.

2 comments

  1. I think it's so great that you and Bron can do something like a half marathon together! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful trip!! My dad taught me an appreciation of boats (and fishing) too; I'm sure you can't wait until his boat is ready!

    Congrats on the half marathon! You and your hubby rock!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.