Our Trip Home: Part 1

Jed rockin' out to some tunes on his very first airplane flight February 24th

We are back! We just spent three weeks gallivanting around the Western United States. We visited family and friends, gorged ourselves on delicious food, and did a lot of fun things. And now we are home recovering. It feels like a dream to sleep in my own bed again. I am relieved to have Jed in his own bed again and to feed him in a high chair. (Little people just need to be contained sometimes.) As happy as I am to be home among my own things and among my own quiet routine again, it’s also a let-down. “Now what?” I ask myself. There is nowhere to go and not much to do; it’s still quite cold and there’s still that sickly white stuff on the ground. Plus, Bron is studying his brains out for his comprehensive exams. We are back to our boring existence.

So on that note, let me regale you with tales from our fantastic trip home complimented with lots and lots of pictures!

On the first leg of our trip, we visited my dad in San Diego, CA for a long weekend. I grew up there and it always feels like home. The weather was beautiful! The grass was green. Bron worked on his farmer’s tan. We were definitely on vacation.

My dad's boat: The Gryphon
Just look at that GORGEOUS sky!

Jed having a riot in the v-berth before bed

Our first day there, my dad showed Bron some Navy ships first-hand. Then we spent an hour on the beach in Coronado. It was Jed’s first encounter with the ocean. It was breezy and cool, but the familiar smell and sound of the beach made me happy. Then we met my Grandma Linda—who I haven’t seen in ages—for pizza. I learned a lot about my Grandpa Wade from that conversation! What a character. I think my dad is more like him than he’d ever like to own up to. It was sooo good to see my Grandma again.

The Hotel Del Coronado

I really was at one of my favorite places in the whole wide world: The Beach!

My boys on the beach

On Saturday, Bron, my dad, and a handful of his coworkers, participated in the Spartan Race! It was actually more like an 8 mile hike through freezing temperatures, rain, and hail with some obstacles thrown in. They waded through the lake with buckets, jumped over a fire, crawled through tires, climbed over walls, pitched a spear, and other physically taxing feats. But miraculously, they managed to survive it all without any incident! I’m proud of my two men.

My hunky muscle man!

Bron and Dad and the Obstacles

Run Away!!!

Dun. Finished. Triumphed. They totally deserved those medals!
Apparently, that cute little lady in pink is now my new step-mom!  Grandma Liz!!!

Sunday was a gorgeous day to be out on the water! So that’s exactly what we did. We simply hung out in the bay and enjoyed each other’s company—and Jed’s reaction to a life vest.

Jed looks a little squished!  His face makes me laugh.  Doesn't everyone feel like this in a life vest?
Learning to navigate the boat at a very young age.

Just keepin' it real.

Family picture: My dad, me, and Jed

We love you, Dad!  Thanks for everything!  We made some fun memories.

Jed wasn't quite sure what to think of his Grandpa at first, 
but he warmed up to him quickly.

Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3 coming soon...

1 comment:

  1. Oh fun! What cute pictures too! San Deigo is just awesome! Jed's reaction to the life jacket is just precious. It reminded me of Gready's reaction to one in September. Can't wait to see the photos from the rest of your trip!
    P.S. I was so bummed this morning when I woke up to some chipped toe nail polish!


I love hearing from you! Your little notes make my day.