SLIDER

Fourth Baby Bumpdate: 20 weeks + A Gender Reveal!


20 weeks along.  I am officially halfway (or most likely more than halfway) through what is my very last pregnancy.  It's exciting and bittersweet at the same time.  I'm doing my best to cherish this growing belly and the fact that I don't necessarily need to watch how much I'm eating too closely. ;)  I love feeling this baby wiggle inside of me.

For the last time.

There is a last time for everything.  I'm trying not to be too sentimental, just appreciative of the moment and this phase of life... because let's be absolutely honest, pregnancy is miserable too.

I've been in a funk the entire last week and in tears on multiple occasions for no real reason at all.  Maybe it's the cold weather.  Maybe it's the monotony of everyday life.  Maybe it's those thoughts of failure that keep creeping in.  Maybe it's because my clothes are getting tighter but my pants won't stay up!  Maybe it's hormones and I'm just plain exhausted?

Overall, however, I feel grateful for this pregnancy.  I am actually thankful that it took time to get my last two babies here, that pregnancy didn't come easily.  I get to spread the joy of a having a newborn and new motherhood over an entire decade!  I've come to appreciate the true miracle it is to see two positive lines on a pregnancy test.  Yes, babies are stressful and demanding but so are fourth graders -- except in completely different ways!  Babyhood goes so fast.  My perspective has changed over the last ten years.  Motherhood has shaped me into someone my 22 year old self would not recognize.  For ALL OF THIS, I am grateful.    

Anyway, let's get to the most exciting part of this post: the gender of our growing baby!!!

^^It's a BOY!!!^^

Because Conrad contracted Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease from his cousins over Christmas break, Bron could not come to the big anatomy ultrasound with me.  He stayed home with our little man; I just could not bring myself to ask someone to babysit a kid with such a contagious sickness.  I mean, I don't want to be that person who pretty much starts a local preschool epidemic.  Anyway, I was so sad and a little anxious about not having Bron by my side, but all went happily well.

When the ultrasound tech saw that Baby was lying sideways, she went straight to the potty shot.  I called it before she did.  "It's a BOY!" I exclaimed.  She confirmed.

I knew it!  I just knew it -- especially after my unofficial sneak peek at my appointment prior.  I'll admit, at that last appointment, I was a bit bummed.  It only lasted about ten minutes though.  Another boy just feels right for our family.  I left the office feeling happy about a possible baby boy.

I know it's totally anticlimactic.  Another boy.  I can hardly believe it myself.  Four boys!  But I've known it was a possibility for years; it runs in the family.  Bron is one of six boys.  His older brother has eight boys and two girls.  It seemed probable that I'd wind up with all boys too.  And here we are!  It's kind of funny.  Or self-fulfilling?

I am cheerfully embracing the positives of raising a family of boys and the extraordinary bond of brotherhood!  It's going to be a riot in the Nelson house.  Heaven help me raise them into honest, hardworking, respectful men.

Anyhow, back to the ultrasound, I was thrilled to see our baby wiggling around so much.  He yawned and kicked and made himself known.  Life is such a miracle!  Baby Boy also looked completely healthy; no red flags or concerns.  In that moment, seeing my baby on the screen, I suddenly could not wait to meet him and hold him in my arms.  May cannot come fast enough!

^^To announce that they were getting a baby brother, I surprised the kids with blue silly string after school.  Jed and Levi were stoked.  Conrad, however, still doesn't quite grasp what's going on.^^


Continuing the pregnancy questionnaire blog tradition:


Size of baby:  According to the ultrasound, about 13 ounces.  He's measuring big.  In other words, he's right in line with his brothers to be another 9 pound infant and be delivered a week early.

Maternity clothes:  You bet!  I have no shame.  I started digging into my red duffel bag of maternity gear before the end of the first trimester!  Now my closet is completely cleared out and packed away of everything but maternity clothes and postpartum "fat" clothes.

Stretch marks:  No new ones... yet.  

Belly button in or out: I'm sporting an outie!  This turkey timer popped fast too this time around.

Weight gain:  I am totally not even going there this pregnancy.  It's just unfair to ask a girl her weight after Christmas, especially when she's pregnant.

Sleep:  I should get more sleep, but it's so nice to stay up in the quiet after the boys have gone to bed!  I'm still sleeping well most nights with a long pillow between my knees and under my growing belly.  Every time I hop into bed Bron laughs and makes fun of me because every time I sigh and say something like, "I love you bed.  You are so soft!  You feel so good."  I think he's feeling left out.  ;)

Favorite moment:  When Conrad puts his little hands on my belly and says, "I can feel you, Baby!"

Movement:  I am feeling the baby move more and more often.  He's like a fish flopping around in there.  But sometimes that fish softly pokes and jabs.  I seem to notice him moving most often when I'm sitting at my computer.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm sitting quietly or because he feels slightly squished?  

Symptoms: The nausea has finally gone away!  Three cheers for finally feeling better.  Woot!  Woot!  Woot!  I now get to deal with relearning how to dress myself, occasional shortness of breath while picking up or cleaning the house, and blood flow that likes to pool down there and make life slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes at a time.

Food aversions: None.

Food cravings:  My appetite has returned!  In fact, 11PM has become the time for my bedtime bowl of cereal.  I feel too hungry to go to bed without a snack.  And I wake up famished!  Lol.  I haven't been craving anything specific, though I do give in to a few pieces of leftover Christmas chocolate every evening.

What I'm looking forward to:  Wearing real jeans again.  I had a dream that I fit into some of my old jeans and that they were even loose!  It was time to buy a smaller size.  Then I woke up and realized I had 5 more months of pregnancy ahead; I was only going to grow, not shrink.  Bummer.

^^Poking my belly button and feeling the baby move.  "I think the baby is sleeping in your tummy," he said.  I think he was right.  He keeps waiting to feel the baby kick from the outside.  Soon, Buddy!^^

1 comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.