SLIDER

Kaui: Part III Waimea Canyon


Last, but certainly not least, was our last day spent in Kauai.  We finally left the North side of the island and ventured to the South and West.  We wanted to check out Waimea Canyon, also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.  The South side of the island was dryer and reminded me much more of the Hawaii I knew for three years as a kid.  As we climbed to the top of the peaks that overlook the canyon, we were not disappointed!  See for yourself!  I love the colors of the green growing on top of the red rock.  Mix in some steep cliffs and waterfalls and it's eye candy for the soul.  Truly something else.  

 ^^Roosters and chickens everywhere!  Haha.^^
 ^^Fruit stands for the tourists!  Yum.^^

We actually made a pit-stop for brunch in the park.  As a first-trimester pregnant lady, my energy and mood was directly connected to my stomach.  Ahh, I felt so much better after a good hot meal!  That mixed berry jam was delicious.


View from the top overlooking the beach where we camped earlier in the week.  We were able to get a few good looks before the clouds rolled in.  However, we weren't too disappointed.  We got to see and experience Kalalau first hand after all!
 
 ^^This.  This blooming bush reminds me of my childhood.  We had one in our yard.  I don't remember details like this until we visit Hawaii and then it all comes rushing back through sights and scents and sounds.^^

Next, it was a hike that was cut short by fog!  We could have gone to the end of the trail, but we wouldn't have seen anything because of the cloud cover.  Anyway, like I said, we saw it all from the bottom a few days before so we weren't too put out.  But it was still super cool.  We literally walked along a mountain ridge.  Beautiful green rain forest grew up on our right and a cliff socked in with fog waited on our left. 


We spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the South side of the island.  We stopped for lunch (coconut shrimp!) and Shave Ice in Hanapepe.  We walked out to the end of a pier to eat and enjoy the ocean.  As were were leaving, school had just gotten out and bunch of eleven year old boys ran out onto the pier.  I was amused just watching them climb atop the roof and jump into the water while someone's Grandma looked on with a bit of concern.  It was a peek into the everyday Hawaiian life!

We briefly stopped by an old Russian Fort.  There wasn't much to see there.  Then we moved on to see the Halona Blowhole.  We did a little sea side shopping among some tents and Bron bought me a beautiful red coral necklace.  I wear it nearly every Sunday to church these days.  Finally, we spent our last few free hours at Poipu Beach.  We walked out along the sand bar and were splashed by waves.  So fun!  Then we simply swam in the warm blue-green crystal clear waters and soaked up the Hawaiian sunshine before catching our miserable red-eye flight back to the mainland.  It was a perfect end to an incredible, utterly beautiful, adventurous, and romantic vacation with my best friend and sweetheart.         

^^Halona Blowhole^^

Aloha Oe, Hawaii. I sure hope we meet again!

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.