SLIDER

5 Quick Takes

1. When Bron arrived home Friday evening and asked what was for dinner, I simply told him, "Amy's leftovers".  He gave me a puzzled look and laughed because he knew I was serious!  My neighbor Amy called me on the phone that morning and asked if I'd like her dinner leftovers from the night before.  She and her family were leaving for the weekend and she didn't know if they would last.  Um... delicious free food?  Okay!  I graciously agreed to take them off her hands. 

So I zipped up my jacket and called over my shoulder to Bron that I'd be back in ten minutes.  Indeed, ten minutes later I waltzed back through the door with a container full of food, stuck it in the oven to warm, set the table, and voila!  Dinner was served.  It was easier and better than take-out.  I think we should totally set-up a neighborhood leftovers exchange or something.  It would be brilliant.

2. That same friend Amy invited me to go "grocery shopping" with her late Friday evening.  In other words, it was a spontaneous last minute girls' night out.  It felt so liberating!  We turned up the music and headed to the food court at Costco first.  Then we oohed and ahhed over the mountains of toys there like a pair of five year old kids.  Christmas is coming and it is going to be sooo hard not to spoil our children.  After closing down Costco, we wandered aimlessly through Target until they kicked us out too.  Then, and only then, did we head to the grocery store where we spent a grand total of fifteen minutes (because really, what's there to gawk at in the grocery store?) before finally heading home.  It was so much fun! 


3. I had a proud mama moment Saturday morning when Levi joined us in folding his arms for prayer.  Those little folded hands are so darn cute!

4. If I am doing one and only one thing right as a mother, it is reading the scriptures to my boys at the breakfast table.  It may be just a few verses at a time, but I am impressed with how much Jed is absorbing and comprehending.  Reading about Jesus from the book of Matthew has spurred on conversations I never thought I'd share with a three year old.  Sure, he thinks Peter wears green and can fly (Peter Pan), but he's also asked about "the signs of the times" and the priesthood.  It is so neat for me to explain these things to him and watch him light up with understanding and excitement!  Little children are so eager to learn and reading the scriptures (almost) every morning gives me an opportunity to teach.  I am so grateful for this blessing and responsibility of motherhood.  It is unlike anything I have ever done and my heart is full.

5. I had three photography gigues this weekend: two families and one newborn.  I couldn't wait to see what the second family had in store for me Sunday afternoon and I haven't quit laughing since.  Have you ever seen those awkward family photos on the web?  Well, this was a re-enactment in an effort to win a family contest.  I hope they win!  Hint: Those girls are not girls at all.  These pictures are blackmail material at its finest.  I'm not done holding my sides and rolling on the floor.


{Happy Monday!}

8 comments

  1. I really like the idea of your "grocery shopping" on Friday night :)
    Levi folding his hands in prayer is SO cute!
    www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I love it when my kids do something on their own that I have been teaching them. Makes me so proud!
    That family picture?!?! Still laughing!! H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!! I hope they win too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of reading scriptures at breakfast! Not only does it start the day out the right way, but then we wouldn't run out of time when I'm trying to get a grumpy girl in bed at night (and honestly I could be referring to myself OR Hadley these days ha). I'm going to try implementing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect girl time!! So fun!
    So my cousin has this dinner club with 3 or 4 other families in her neighborhood where they each have a week night (they are on their own for weekends) and make dinner for all the families that night. She said she LOVES it because she just cooks 1 night each week (and said it is super easy to make enough to feed each family) and gets good, home cooked meals the other nights! The idea intimidates me to make enough food for 4 families, but it might not be so bad if I only had to do it once a week?
    Someday... someday I'll get you to take our pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last picture is too funny. I also meant to comment on your last post about your good news. I'm happy for your family on both accounts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The neighborhood leftovers exchange is an AWESOME idea! And isn't it amazing what kids can pick up? We read bible stories at night. Ever since we read about Samson, Charlotte has started trying to pick up our dining room table because she wants to be "strong like Samson" (and the picture in our Berenstain Bears bible book showed Samson lifting a table).

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a rocking friday night ;) Love the photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I love this post. You and Amy are brilliant--a "left-over" dinner swap sounds wonderful, and a Friday "grocery shopping" trip--what a great girls' night out!! I sure do wish I had a friend that lived close by! Yes, I'm going to have a hard time not spoiling my son for Christmas too. It's so much fun to go Christmas shopping and even more...to watch the excitement on our little one's faces as they open gifts from Santa.

    P.S. That's the best photo-shoot. What fun!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.