SLIDER

A Mid May Update

^^For some reason, I was really feeling many of these photos in black and white.  A little nostalgia, maybe?^^


Talking about three recent happenings:

1. The warm weather has finally arrived between the rain storms, which means I am in my happy place as a mama.  I absolutely LOVE taking my boys to go adventure or play outside and during the first week of May we made it to the park four different times. That week, Ezra learned how to climb ladders and careen down the slides like a bullet, laughing the whole time. And Conrad learned how to cross the monkey bars. He is so proud of his new skill. We had to make time after our grocery trip to town just to do them again.  I'm soaking in this phase of motherhood.  They'll both be in school before I know it!  It makes these park trips all the sweeter.

Also of note, this has by far been the coldest, rainiest, and windiest spring we seem to have ever had while living here.  Winter just won't stop coming around!  Fortunately, I *think* yesterday might have been the last of it.    


2. Our new ward put together a Work Hard, Play Hard Day on May 7th for the youth.  The young men and women met for lunch and then split up to do various outdoor yard work as a service activity for several hours.  I enjoyed meandering around to different groups of kids to help them work and to chat.  Afterward the work was done, we gathered all the youth to go swimming at Nat Soo Pah.  It was so much fun!  Our friend Owyn won the belly flop contest off the high dive!  Kid committed.  He also said he had no idea how much it would hurt!  Lol.  The young men happened to help a woman who had locked her keys and son in the car.  Then we stuffed our faces with brats and cookies and chips and enjoyed a fireside led by President and Sister Funk.  I think it was a successful activity!   

So how is it going as the young women's president, you ask?  Well, I feel like I am finally finding my groove; I have finally won the girls' trust and am getting to know them and their individual needs.  It's been a trip learning how to juggle this calling.  I learned early on that I need to be assertive -- though sometimes I worry that I'm making the wrong decisions?  It's weird to be in charge.  There's a lot I do not want to do, like micromanage.  But it's also nice to be able to make changes or switch things up just because something isn't working or something better comes up!  I realize I will never be able to make everyone happy.  I occasionally get push back from parents who do not want to drive or other mildly lame reasons.  Sorry.  This is what it is.  We have a humungous ward, but it's a healthy ward.  And I will do what I think is best for these girls as I work closely with Bishop England, who has been good to get to know.  He's a go, go, get-it-done kind of a person.  So understanding his personality along with his leadership position has had me adjusting.  But I think I've got it now.

Anyway, I will sing praises about my presidency all day.  Chalet, Lisa, and Genesa have been the best group to work with.  They each communicate well and run with their responsibilities.  I never have to worry if they will come through!  They always do.  It's been so helpful.  I honestly think I did have divine inspiration when selecting them.  I mean, I had no idea who Lisa or Genesa were!  Never met them.  But Genesa is a whiz with all things secretarial.  Wow!

Young Women's president is a time consuming job.  I actually silenced all of my young women group texts because they were so distracting.  Now I get to it when I get to it -- which is a few times a day.

Nothing like a learning curve to give a girl some stress and keep her on her toes!  But I'm excited for what's next in the program this summer and to have some fun with the girls.      


3.  The boys have been making us parents absolutely miserable the last few weeks.  They've been lazy and fighting incessantly.  Nothing is ever quite good enough; they want more.  When Levi lamented that he wanted to do something fun, Bron and I just about kicked his tushy.  We explained that everything we have been doing has been for him and his brothers.  Those lacrosse tournaments in Idaho Falls and Jackson?  Those were for you!  The 4H cows (and subsequently the new fence we put in), the mountain biking program... it's all for you!  Bron and I never did celebrate our 15th anniversary properly.  There hasn't been time to do much else.  Then over the weekend, after watching a few hours of TV, Jed and Levi complained that they didn't have time to do anything fun for themselves.  "There's no time to shoot my compound bow!"  And that was the last straw.  

No TV for a week.

Monday evening, Jed and Levi were mad.  Levi just sat on the couch next to me, in tears.  He had no idea what to do with himself!  I made a few suggestions, but nothing sounded good to him.

Wednesday night, Jed needed to be at a mountain biking meeting and I needed to be at young women's.  That left Levi to babysit his two little brothers at home.  And do you know what happened without TV as an option?  The boys played outside.  They rode their bikes and drew with chalk.  Then Levi remembered he had chores to do.  So he and Conrad put their folded clothes away, did the dishes, wiped the counters down, and even swept and mopped the floor!  I came home to a clean home and was astounded.  Levi totally deserved to be paid for his efforts.

Thursday night something similar happened again with Jed.  Also, Levi decided to get a puzzle out and put it together.

No TV suddenly turned my boys into responsible agreeable human beings!  It's a parenting win!!!  

 
^^That wispy hair. I love it. He reminds me of Jed when he was little.^^

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.