SLIDER

Coronavirus Update: Under the Governor's 21 Day Stay at Home Order

^^Chasing rainbows first thing in the morning.^^

It has been two fulls weeks since the kids' school was cancelled and we've been practicing "social distancing."  Last Wednesday, the governor of Idaho officially mandated a 21 Day Stay at Home order, closing down all non-essential businesses and asking residents to self isolate in order to slow the spread of Covid-19.

I'll be honest.  It's been a long two weeks.  This is quite the sudden adjustment!  A worldwide pandemic was totally not on my radar for 2020.  We've had some really good days here at home as a family and a few others where I've just fallen apart.

Those hard days have happened for two reasons:
1. This exhausted pregnant mama needs more sleep to keep up with three energetic boys!
2. I was still mentally kicking against this new reality.

My concerns in my last post still stand... along with a few others.  Wow, the physical, emotional, and economic effects are far reaching!  It can feel very heavy.

But overall, however, I think I am finally settling in to this new reality with hope that restrictions will begin to lift in the next few weeks.  I am truly fortunate in this pandemic situation.  I am thankful for a community that is working to keep people safe and protect our health system.  I am grateful Bron is still working and bringing home an income.  (Those cows still need to be milked and food brought to the masses!)  I am extremely fortunate to live in a nice warm home with a full pantry and a big yard.  Best of all, I am surrounded by the people whom I love more than anything.  We have our health and each other.  What more really matters?

I sincerely do wonder what I will learn from all this time in isolation glued to just my family and home.  What will I learn about myself?  What will I learn I need to change?  What will I learn about motherhood and my boys?  I'm hoping I come through the next few weeks a little wiser and not bald because I've pulled all my hair out just trying to meet the needs of three very energetic and extroverted boys.  Haha.

For the record, I feel just as busy with the kids all home as I did when they were in school.  The really nice advantage is that I've dropped my role as taxi driver.  There is no longer any pressure to make sure dinner is ready promptly at 5pm so that the boys can make it to swim team at 6pm.  And my house is staying cleaner because there's more time to clean it and the boys help!

I feel much more relaxed.  I might even be a better mom now that time isn't an issue!  I can focus on my child's immediate need instead of preparing for the next thing.

Just an observation...

Anyway, so what is life really looking like around here now under a government mandated quarantine?  Read on as I explain in some short stories and lots of documentary photos!

 ^^Silly Misty.  She ALWAYS knows when it's meal time.^^

Our weekends have been humming along per usual, just minus anything social.  The boys get up early to watch TV while Bron and I sleep in.  Then we eat a big family breakfast, tackle some chores, play hard, and Bron and I possibly escape on a date night.

I've tried to create some semblance of a routine during the week, however.  My boys take after me.  We love a little freedom every now and then from routine, but ultimately, we thrive on being productive and knowing what comes next.

I have a schedule posted on the refrigerator that we mostly follow.  It's been tweaked a few times and I'm sure it will be tweaked a few times more as Jed and Levi begin full blown homeschool via their school teachers and the internet this week.  Cross your fingers for us!

^^Conrad napping with ALL his stuffed animals.^^

During this last week, I set the big boys up with some audio books.  I was so excited to find that audio books are a hit!  I'm using our library's app and an online resource connected to our bluetooth speaker.  Jed and Levi have happily spent up to 2 hours contentedly listening while keeping their hands busy building with LEGOS or knotting friendship bracelets from colored floss.  It's awesome!  It feels like such an all around win.

^^Happy 1st Day of Spring!  I spy blue skies and bright green leaves.^^
 ^^Boredom buster: throwing some cups through an open window.^^
 ^^His face!  Conrad means business.^^
^^Jed and his sweet dogs.^^
 ^^The REAL question is, how many times have you seen Frozen II?  It's Conrad's favorite movie right now.  I even catch Jed singing this whole pitchy, "Ahh, ahh!" thing.  Oh, my poor ears.^^  

I don't think it's coincidence that the weather has been so pleasant (albeit windy, but mostly pleasant). I feel like it's a sweet little blessing sent straight from heaven to help us through these long days at home.  We've been outside every day!  The boys enjoy playing in the yard, climbing the big tree and riding their bikes.  I initiated a picnic in the playhouse one afternoon.  Last Sunday, we spent the afternoon hiking at Indian Springs.  This week, a young sweet neighbor friend put together an easter egg hunt and scavenger hunt (Jed and Levi actually had to dig in the dirt to find a prize, like pirates!) in her yard.  And we've been going up to the new property often to witness all the exciting progress on the new house.  (Hint: They're pouring the foundation on Monday. Wow!)

In the last two weeks, Jed has become quite the little sous chef.  He can make a pan of brownies entirely on his own.  I hardly helped at all as I walked him through how to make his favorite chocolate and peanut butter cookies.  And now he is perfecting variations on homemade muffins.  We are all going to benefit from Jed's new talent!


Perhaps the most significant change has been adapting to having church here at home.  It was especially meaningful the first time Bron broke the bread and blessed the water for the sacrament.  It was a special opportunity for the boys to learn about its significance and why we do the ordinance in the way that we do it.  Actually, there have been so many small but significant opportunities for gospel learning and growth.  Just today, I got to hear Jed and Levi bear their testimonies amid a strong but sweet spirit.

One day, I spied Conrad filling up cups with water.  Then he ran into the kitchen and broke up some pieces of bread onto a plate. Next, he drug out the piano bench and a white pillowcase. "I doing the sacrament, Mom!" he explained enthusiastically.  The next thing I knew, Conrad had set up his own little sacrament exactly the way he saw his dad do it.  Then he knelt down and Levi helped him offer a quick prayer to bless the food.  I filmed the whole thing for Bron on Marco Polo.  I was laughing so hard I had tears; it was one of the cutest things I've ever witnessed.

^^Brrr!  It was only 45*!  But when you're three and you spent the majority of the day without a coat, well, I suppose it feels like summer!^^
^^Blowing bubbles in his milk.  Notice the three half eaten apples.  I said I needed a lock on my fridge.  Conrad said, "I'm just living the life, Mama!"^^

Finally, I feel like I should record Bron and my date to town last night.  We were in desperate need of some quiet alone time, so we left Jed in charge at home for three hours.  No better time to learn to babysit than when you're quarantined, right?  He's nearly 10 years old anyway.  Bron and I toured some neighborhoods looking at windows, front doors, and rock designs.  It's nearly time for us to pick out exactly what we want for our new home!  I love that we have this giant project to work on together to distract us from everything else going on.

Then we headed into Target and Winco for our weekly grocery trip. (So far, Bron has done all the shopping since he's been working.)  Town felt almost apocalyptic!  It was eerily empty.  The shelves were well stocked except for paper goods, flour, eggs, and pasta.  There were also imposed limits on things like hand soap!  We did our shopping (I was unable to get eggs) and then picked up some food -- and washed our hands -- at Chili's to go.  Delicious stuff.  It might be one of thee lamest dates we've ever been on, but hey, quiet time together these days is golden!

^^Like mother like son.  Conrad stuffs his backpack full of his favorite things -- his rainbow camera, a silicone scrubber shaped like a flower, a piggy bank, his Valentine glasses, a blue teddy bear, and more -- and packs it all around with him. I'm his mama so I think it's pretty cute.^^

I think that about sums things up for now!  I have a feeling that life is going to feel a bit like Groundhog's Day as I repeat myself over and over again to these boys about not antagonizing one another as we wait this virus out.  We're all praying for a brighter future with lots of friends to come to us soon.  But in the mean time, we're determined to make as much lemonade from these lemons that have been handed to us.    

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.