SLIDER

Spilling the Details About My First MCO Concerts


Remember when I auditioned and joined the Millennial Choirs and Orchestra back in February?  Well, everything turned out better than I could have ever anticipated.

First, I have to say that the MCO repetoire has exceeded all of my expectations.  I love making music and being a part of something so much bigger than myself.  The music is legit; some of it is challenging to play -- which makes it all the more fun for me!  The repetoire's energy and emotion coupled with the solidifying testimony of the spirit is overwhelming.  It gives the production a purpose.  And since that purpose is so near and dear to my own heart, it feels worthwhile.  

The website says, "MCO was founded for the purpose of teaching and encouraging excellence in quality sacred and classical music. Its primary purpose is to fulfill the need for more refined music performance education in our communities, with a focus on God and country. Similar to the music of the masters—Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms—we are bringing God back into the concert hall with the sacred/classical music that is such a rich part of the history of the world. We feel this is vital in today’s society, particularly for the youth of America."

Yes, MCO is definitely a business but its purpose is something I can get behind.  Plus, it fills something in my little mommy soul to play my violin again.

Can I talk about the directors for just a minute?  Wow.  They are from another planet they are so highly musically trained.  I couldn't help laughing to myself a time or two as I watched their mouths contort into ridiculous shapes instructing the choir.  But their enthusiasm and their passion for what they do (They wrote the majority of the music themselves.  Impressive!) was contagious.

I traveled to Boise three separate times for rehearsals before the actual performance.  It was a whirlwind learning so much music in so little time.  I thrived on the challenge.  The drives definitely took their toll though.  I didn't get back home til around 1AM!  But it was fun to see my mom every week.  We got to chat and bond by playing together.

My stand partner (aka concertmaster), Hailey, is a really sweet girl and excellent violinist.  I am actually glad she got the role and I didn't!  It was a great change of pace for me to sit next to someone whose level challenged mine.  She handled all the responsibilities of the position with poise and was really on top of things.  I honestly think that between the long drive and the responsibilities of the concertmaster, it would have been too much stress in my life.  Plus, Hailey didn't get to play the solos after all!  Bummer, huh?  She had all the responsibility but no glory.  I actually feel really bad for her!  That really stinks.  BUT it was fun to rub shoulders with the professional soloist from Orange County backstage.  She performed in our Idaho concert.  And it looks like Jenny Oaks Baker will be playing in Carnegie Hall.  Wow!  I'm fan girling just a little bit.


The MCO locale in California needed more first violinists for their concerts on May 11th and the amazing venue happened to be just a few miles from my dad's home, so I jumped on the opportunity to be flown out there and make a weekend of it.

My dad has not been to church in probably a decade.  He went to the concert and said it had been a long time since he felt the spirit like that.  It hit him hard!  Purpose accomplished.  

The best part, of course, was just being able to sit back and relax with my dad and family. We talked, ate, and enjoyed a little Saturday morning sea faring adventure.  It was great to get away for two days!
         
^^A few snapshots Liz took before the concert.  I sat in the back and made my noise!^^
^^My friend and fellow violinst, Kelsey.  We actually played at BYU-I together.^^
^^Dad working on his corvette.^^
^^Mia and Bella enjoying the fresh sea air on the dinghy.^^

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.