SLIDER

A Day in the Life 2020

Welcome to the 8th annual Day in the Life Post -- also known as the annual post that almost didn't happen.  Between this quarantine and being nine months pregnant, I feel pretty spent of creative energy.  But I knew that if I dropped the ball this year, I'd regret it.  So I busted out the camera on Monday May 4, 2020 and went for it.  These aren't the prettiest or most creatively done batch of pictures.  In fact, I used a new to me preset for fun and I'm not sure I'm in love with the look.  But it is what it is and the goal was accomplished for yet another year.

So my dear readers, may I present A Day in the Life 2020, a special quarantine edition.


On Monday May 4th, Bron and I awoke to bickering in the kitchen.  Jed and Levi were arguing over the leftover brownies from the night prior for breakfast.  It was one of those close-the-bedroom-door-I'm-not-ready-to-tackle-another-week type of mornings.  Bron and I laid in bed for a few extra minutes talking before officially beginning our day.

During this pandemic, Bron has kept a pretty consistent work schedule; he was off to conquer the dairy world before I could get myself some breakfast.  

Our mornings are kind of a hodge podge.  We have a loose routine where I try to juggle everyone's school responsibilities and needs.  At least the boys know what's expected.

Jed is really into the Warriors series by Erin Hunter.  So while he had his nose stuck in a book on the couch, I got Levi started on his schoolwork on the computer.  Levi was supposed to take an isip test via Istation, but the program kept freezing.  So I shut it down and we moved on to another program called Wonders to accomplish some reading assignments.  Come to find out, that program was having some technical difficulties too.  So I messaged the teacher about our efforts and simply told Levi that we'd try again tomorrow.  (Guess what? The programs magically worked on Tuesday!)  I have very little patience for technology right now and even less motivation to get the boys back to the computer later in the day for school.  Both Jed and Levi work best in the mornings.  So if we lose that window, I've chosen not to break a sweat about it.  Levi did spend a half hour on Zearn for math.
       

While the big boys were occupied, I prepared Conrad and myself some breakfast.  On the menu for Conrad yet again: cinnamon toast, strawberries, and milk.  I made myself up a Greek yogurt + fruit + granola bowl.

^^I love seeing his silly underwear sticking out and his feet are dirty and bare always these days.  He'd already left the house that morning to call the dogs in to play.^^

When Levi finished his math, it was time to get Jed started on school.  I helped him print out his weekly assignment PDF and pulled up a video about prepositions on Canvas.  After the video was over, we sat together and went through a couple of grammar assignments.  The best way I can describe a preposition?  It's not a verb or a noun: it's a word that connects to and gives more meaning to a noun.  Clear as mud?  Yeah, I thought so.  But he eventually got the gist of it.  Then I set Jed up with a couple more assignments and let him loose.

^^Jed's robot that he made and refurbished.  Notice the new angry face and saw arm.  Gnarly stuff.^^


Finally, it was time for me to get ready for the day (though it's nearly noon).  I turned on some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for Conrad and locked the child locks just to keep him from leaving the house and causing any trouble.


All showered and dressed for the day (with no makeup because we're social distancing, duh!) with my 36 week bump!  A part of me is really going to miss pregnancy.  The other part of me can't wait to hold our new baby in my arms.  But another part of me is nervous because I know just how much time a newborn demands.  Hormonal much?  Sure!  Anyway, the baby's birth is inevitable.  So I'm enjoying the bump while it lasts and dreaming of all the good stuff coming our way.  Being a mother has been my life's greatest blessing.  I sometimes pinch myself because I can't believe I get to experience the miracle of new life one fourth and final time.


Looking over the bump and down to my poor swollen feet that are in dire need of a pedicure.  Also, have I mentioned how happy I am that it's warm enough to comfortably wear a dress and flip flops every day?  Such a blessing this late in pregnancy.

I turned off the TV and encouraged the boys to go play while I tackled a few things around the house.  I made the bed and said a prayer.  I cleaned up some dishes and started the dish washer.  I started a load of laundry.  I quickly swept the kitchen.  I paid a random bill and took it to the mailbox.  I texted a woman to follow up about my kitchen cabinets for the new house.  I called Bron to confirm what type of wood species he'd like for the barn doors in the new house and then replied to an email to get a quote for all the doors for the entire house.  What else did I do?  I can't remember, but it was a good little check list.

All while I was busy inside knocking things off my to-do list, the boys were outside playing and doing who knows what.  All I know is that Conrad came in soaking wet and needed to change his clothes.  It seems to happen multiple times a day now.  No big deal.  My laundry pile just grows every time he either turns on the sprinklers or jumps in the dogs' water.    


That time of day for lunch came quickly!  I nuked some hot dogs in the microwave and cut up some apples and oranges for the boys.  

By the way, did you know that orange slices are actually magazines for bullets?  That's right, each triangle is a bullet.  We bite the bullet.  Haha.  This seriously all came out of Levi's imagination!  I definitely live in a house full of silly boys. 

^^My current daily lunch: oranges slices, hummus, na'an bread, carrots, peas, cheese, and hard salami.  It's all so easy to grab from the fridge and tastes delicious!^^
^^We have a "no toys at the table" rule, but somehow they make their way there anyway.^^

After lunch, I cleaned up a bit and did a couple of other things (like breathe for a moment and check Instagram) while the boys disappeared to play outside again for a few minutes.

^^Jed with his swords he so painstakingly smoothed and whittled down with the electric sander.^^
^^All three boys in the backyard.^^
^^Conrad dressed himself.  His shorts were on backwards.  It didn't seem to bother him, so I didn't bother to fix them.  That little detail made me happy all day long.  He's still such a little boy!^^
^^Unless you think I'm a health nut.  Haha.  Nope!  I have a stash of candy.^^

Some days we have to leave the house for my own sanity.  Some days we have to leave the house just so the boys can burn more energy.  And some days I'm too exhausted to even think about leaving.  On Monday, I felt like doing something so I gave the boys a choice.  We could hike Ross Falls or feed the ducks some old buns.  They chose to feed the ducks.  Ironically, there were no ducks to feed!  I wonder where they went or if it was just the wrong time of day?  Fortunately, it didn't matter.  There were plenty of fish to feed.  It was an entertaining feeding frenzy!  Jed and Levi giggled the entire time.  A little brown weasel even ventured out to join the party.  I forgot there was a small playground there.  So for the first time in at least two months, the boys got to play at a park!  Good thing restrictions are beginning to ease up and I read that COVID-19 doesn't survive in the heat very long.  Crossing my fingers it's true!  But honestly, I wasn't worried.  

^^Levi seeing how high and fast he could slide down the fire pole.^^

After our little afternoon adventure, we pulled into the driveway at home and Conrad immediately asked if he could practice his two wheeler.  I had taken him out the night before for about ten or fifteen minutes because Bron had hidden away Conrad's strider.  The only bike Conrad had was the one with pedals.  It was overdue.  Conrad just needed to practice the muscle memory for pedaling.  

Well, I was in for a big surprise Monday afternoon.  Everything suddenly clicked and came together for Conrad.  He became a two wheel riding machine!  Levi encouraged Conrad to follow him around the driveway and even helped Conrad start pedaling.  I witnessed a little piece of childhood magic spontaneously unfold right then and there in the driveway.  It was so fun!  Watch out, World!  Conrad thinks he can now keep up with his big brothers and even jump their ramps.  I am such a proud Mama.           

^^Riding tight circles in the driveway.  Seriously, his balance is amazing!^^
^^Getting a little coaching from Dad.^^
^^Look at the air Levi caught!  He's getting braver and better all the time.^^

Bron and I snuck into the house to chat for a few minutes.  Afterwards, I found the boys avoiding me by perusing through their favorite magazine together that came in the mail: The Oriental Trading Company.  They love circling all the odds and ends on their wish list and being silly about it.


While I cooked dinner, Jed and Levi earned their Star Wars movie night.  The Rise of Skywalker was debuting on Disney+!  (It was May the 4th, after all!  May the Fourth Be With You. Hehe.)  Conrad switched the laundry for me.  Levi washed all the windows in the kitchen inside and out while Jed entertained the little man outside and even taught him how to start on his bike!  Wow, the power of brotherhood.  I love it.

During this time, Bron took the dogs with him on a quick trail run.

^^On the dinner menu: spaghetti + meatballs + broccoli.^^

Conrad fought falling asleep all through dinner.  His eyes kept closing as he chewed!  Poor kid was tired.  Conrad is in that between nap stage.  If he gets a nap, he's up til 10PM.  If he doesn't nap, he's cranky by dinner time.  It's a no win situation right now that I know he'll eventually outgrow.

When all the dishes from dinner were mostly cleaned up and squared away, it was time to start our movie!  I cuddled up on the couch next to Conrad where he promptly fell asleep in 10 minutes.  Bron carried him to bed and I gently tucked Conrad in for the night.      


A few minutes later, I found Bron in the yard spraying weeds and asked if he'd like to join me on a short walk, I mean waddle.  It was such a quiet and gorgeous night!  These short walks have become my escape from the chaos at home.  By the time we circled back, however, my lower back was hurting and my rear end was ready to become one with the couch.  I baked some frozen dough into cookies and settled in to watch the remainder of the movie with Jed and Levi.

And that about sums up our day!  No two days are exactly alike but we follow the general routine of school in the morning and playing and chores in the afternoon.  It's a genuinely good life and I find myself grateful for this uninterrupted time together.  As busy as three boys are, it's been nice to drop every single extracirricular activity from the calendar and not feel like we're missing out.  Silver linings.

Au revoir until next year!      

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.