SLIDER

Green Thumbs


I think Bron just might be a garden and lawn master.  I'm pretty sure he takes after his grandfather who had an immaculate garden and a talent for all things green and growing.  As for me, on the other hand, I can kill a cactus.  True story.  If it weren't for Bron, I'd be completely clueless when it came to caring for our acre large yard.  Bron instructed me on how to cut back my lilies last Fall while he pruned the trees.  I didn't know they needed to be cut back.  Then he helped me transplant some of those lilies to other places around our property this Spring.  I also planted some daffodils and tulips--on my own, thank you.  (I'm praying they survive!)

I'm slowly learning about how to properly take care of a yard.  Hopefully I will have a little success with my flowers and tiny garden this year to boost my confidence in what little gardening skills I have because I'm in love with flowers and strawberries and fresh tomatoes.  It's our first Spring in our first house and we're a bit excited to put it all together and make it look great.  A part of me is a little nervous though; can we really keep up with a yard this big?  I guess we'll find out!  I've been outside weeding everyday this week.  I fill a five gallon bucket full of those nasty weeds and call it a day.  I could keep weeding, but Jed is ready for some attention by then.  So we play on the swings and get our hands dirty in the sand box.  I love being outside!  As much work as this yard may become, it will always be an excuse to get some vitamin D and feel productive at the same time.  And that's satisfying. 

As for Bron's part in this story about our yard, well, he's been doing a lot of work!  He's been pruning and digging and burning and moving all sorts of things around.  He has BIG plans to make our back courtyard a barbeque oasis for family and friends this summer.  He wants to rip out ugly bushes and plant fruit trees.  He wants to add rock in certain places.  He wants to do a lot of things!

While Jed and I were in Arizona last month, Bron bought four yards of dirt.  Yes, dirt.  He also bought a pallet of rocks.  Pretty rocks.  He also bought a riding lawn mower.  (Jed thinks it's a tractor and excitedly sits in the driver's seat with his hands on the wheel in the garage.)  When we arrived home, I was pleasantly surprised at what he'd done around the place... and a little skeptic about the large hole in the courtyard. 


Then on Tuesday, I left my boys working (Jed playing) in the yard for the evening to go to symphony practice.  When I came home, Bron had something to show me.  He turned on the lights, plugged the extension cord in, and voila!  Bron had single-handedly pieced together a rock water fountain in the courtyard.  It works!  And it is BEAUTIFUL!  Bron beamed with pride and I couldn't have been happier.

I can't wait to show you the finished product, but I am going to have to leave you in suspense right now.  It needs some finishing touches.  Wait, the entire courtyard needs some finishing touches!  But it's going to be pretty enough to take pictures in front of.  And the ambiance is going to rock.  Bron and I can't wait to put it all together.  Bron really has an eye for landscaping.  It's a new talent I didn't know he had.

Anyone want to come over for some hamburgers this summer?

4 comments

  1. Sounds like it's going to be awesome and we will bring the buns and chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Bron on a water fountain! I love working with flowers, and I'm so excited for you to try things out. You'll get there. We're all in on the BBQ; just name the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count the Owens's in! We could kill the fatted calf (or maybe just visit Broulim's). Excited to see the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to have a home of your own and actually be able to do those sorts of things isn't it! I'll have to take you up on those burgers sometime!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.