SLIDER

Happy New Year! 2020 Recap


The year 2020 definitely took a few unexpected turns. It's been a stressful and emotionally taxing year.  And strangely, a very lonely feeling year. I do NOT recommend having a baby, selling a house and building a home all amidst a global pandemic and political/civil unrest. 

I feel like my head is on a swivel from being pulled in so many directions at once. My time is not my own. My plans get derailed nearly daily. Four boys = noisy crazy town. 

Ironically, most of these challenges can be pointed back to myself or humanity in general. In other words, 2020 was a man made problem! Lol. Everything from choosing to build a home while pregnant, to the lockdowns that had dire economic effects, to the protests and destruction of cities, to protocols in the health field that are making the jobs of doctors and nurses feel insurmountable, and to a presidential election that was just plain awful.

Wow. I'm glad we're in the home stretch of the year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that many of our problems will resolve in 2021. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to moving in to our new home in just a few short weeks!

But for all that went wrong, so much went right too. Everything has its opposite and I would be ungrateful if I did not recognize the mountains of blessings that Heavenly Father bestowed upon our family this year... beginning with the most smiley and squishy baby named Ezra who joined our family! 

I hold Ezra tight and cherish him daily, smothering his cheeks in kisses. I find joy in watching him explore the world for the first time! 

Conrad is my innocent and hilarious ray of sunshine who keeps me hopping and on my toes. He's silly and calls people names like, "You big dalooka!" He teases me by splashing me with a cold cup of water while I'm showering and goes around saying random things like, "Attention shoppers! The beans are NOT on sale!" Conrad is a hoot!

Jed and Levi have grown leaps and bounds this year. They're leaning into their personal talents and interests and have learned to work and help and contribute to our family's household. They're becoming big readers and are doing well in school. They're also best frenemies. In fact, Jed shot Levi point blank with a Nerf gun the other day and said, "Rate your pain!"

Bron's job has remained a steady source of income. I'm not sure how we've managed the extra expenses for our new home, but we have! Bron and I high fived each other the other night. Somehow we made it through having a newborn baby AND building a home with our marriage in a good place. I'm impressed with us.

However, probably the most significant blessing for this year is that I've learned to lean into my Savior (yet again) to find peace. Prayer and scripture study and listening to those gentle promptings are slowly shaping me into a better person -- one who is trying to prioritize what is truly important and be a true friend anyway. It's a process, but I'm here for it!

Funny thing is, the more blessings I look for, the more I find! I couldn't have survived the year without a couple of amazing friends and a sister who understands me inside-out.

Goodbye 2020! You were a mixed bag. Welcome 2021! Not sure you'll be much better, but I BELIEVE you'll be better for our little family.


Here's what happened in 2020:


January: 
:: Bron satiated my pregnancy cravings by bringing home a giant chocolate cupcake. 
:: We found out we were having another BOY! 
:: Bron surprised me with a weekend trip to Arizona to see my sister for my birthday!!! 

February: 
:: We went snowshoeing as a family.
:: Jed went skiing for the very first time with his dad.
:: Bron and I went on a vacation with his work to Miami for a week!

March:
:: The kids' spring break was unexpectedly extended indefinitely due to the virus which shall not be named.
:: Construction began on our new home!!!

April:
:: We celebrated Easter and Jed's 10th birthday with an escape room game at home.
:: We started online distance learning and I got so frustrated with the whole situation that I locked myself in the garage, screamed, and punched a hole in the wall. Not my proudest moment.
:: Stayed up past midnight making decisions for the new house and spent way too much money.

May:
:: Our smiley squishy baby with the sweetest cheeks arrived! We named him Ezra Glen.

June:
:: Enjoyed a fun Nelson family reunion at Bear Lake and took all four boys to explore Yellowstone National Park for the first time.
:: Stayed up past midnight making decisions for the new house and spent way too much money. 

July:
:: Celebrated Independence Day and took a weekend trip to Sun Valley as a family to swim, mountain bike, and play.
:: Jed and Levi spent a week on the Nelson Dairy visiting Grandma and Grandpa.
:: I spent every evening outside with Baby Ezra to watch the sun set and enjoy the peace.
:: Stayed up past midnight making decisions for the new house and spent way too much money.

August:
:: Put our house on the market and wanted to die from cleaning it constantly. 
:: Started stashing cinnamon bears in my car to stress eat on the go!
:: Celebrated Levi's 8th birthday!
:: Bron spent a week hiking the Sellway with the young men.
:: We sought relief from the heat in all the creeks.
:: Jed and Levi started 5th and 3rd grades four days a week (fifth day remote) with masks.
:: Stayed up past midnight making decisions for the house and spent way too much money.

September:
:: Levi chose to be baptized and Ezra was given a special Father's blessing.
:: We partied with friends and family on a giant bounce house water slide in the backyard!
:: I admired every crease and roll on Ezra's arms and legs and felt proud of myself for being such an amazing human cow.
:: A fire raged in the South Hills destroying much of our beloved outdoor space.
:: Spent an incredible amount of money on cabinets for the new house... but they were ON SALE!

October:
:: Took the kids to the straw maze!
:: Our buyers backed out of our contract for the house.
:: We celebrated Halloween as a motley crew of Star Wars characters.
:: Bron spent days putting cabinets together. His reward? A stiff back but a very happy wife.

November:
:: Put our house BACK on the market and wanted to die all over again trying to keep the house spotless.
:: The phone rang off the hook with pushy realtors and potential buyers.
:: Conrad turned 4 years old!
:: We celebrated Thanksgiving with the Nelson family on the dairy and swam at Heise hot springs.
:: Stayed up past midnight making decisions for the new house and spent way too much money.

December:
:: I had minor surgery done in the name of cancer prevention. Anesthesia is the pits!
:: Got a second offer on our house! Folks came to inspect the well, the home, and clean out the septic tank.
:: Found out Christmas Eve that there's a nasty leak underneath one of the toilets and the entire floor needs to be replaced.
:: Enjoyed a fabulous Christmas day with four enthusiastic boys.
:: Counting down the days til we can be done with this mess, quit staying up past midnight, spend less money, and move into our new home!

1 comment

  1. Whew! What a rollercoaster! So glad you're so close to being able to move into your new place--can't wait to see it. I'm guessing since you guys built it yourself that you made sure to build lots of windows to capture all the gorgeous photos you'll be taking in the house :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.