SLIDER

How I'm Feeling About the Coronavirus Pandemic at the Moment

^^I made brats for dinner one night and then let mine get a little cold while I grabbed this shot in the living room.  #photogproblems^^ 

Well, this is one of the craziest things that has ever happened in my lifetime.  I've lived through a couple of natural disaster emergencies as a kid, but this is the first time I can remember a worldwide pandemic.  I mean, I remember SARS and Zika viruses as relatively recent scares that required precaution but they never ensued a run on the stores for possible quarantine supplies.  (The stores are out of toilet paper, guys?  Really?)  The viruses never closed schools and businesses and halted domestic and international travel... at least not in the United States.  It feels strange.  In a matter of just a week the world around me has gone into a panic as one event after another has been cancelled: the NBA, March Madness, Disneyland, and even church on Sunday.  I feel it's not really a matter of if but when school is canceled for the boys.  It'll most likely happen as the government and local businesses take precautions to curb the inevitable spread of Covid-19.

I get it.  Social distancing is the right thing to do.  It protects those who are most high-risk for complications from the disease.  It allows the healthcare system to not become overburdened.  And to me, that's really important.  I value the ability to get medical help when I need it, especially for my children.  I assume other people do too.  Plus, who is chomping at the bit to actually contract the virus?  That sounds miserable.

So here we are at the beginning of a story in which I have no idea how it will unfold.  The economy is spiraling downward and a domino effect is happening right before my eyes.  I can only wonder how social distancing and perhaps Covid-19 itself will affect my family and my neighbors.  The drama might last a couple of weeks or a few months (hopefully no more than that) before it fizzles out and we can return to normalcy.  For now, however, as friends we are keeping each other laughing with silly memes because worrying does no good.  

Odd thing is, I suspected a run on the stores to happen over a week ago.  Bron and I were traveling back from Florida when news of the Coronavirus was becoming a hot topic.  I felt this urgency to get our food storage in order.  I was actually surprised not to see anyone else in the stores doing the same!  The whole canned vegetables thing has never really worked for us.  I just don't use them.  So there are a bunch of expired cans in the garage waiting to be devoured.  (Eeew?)  The good news is that during a pandemic like this, my freezer still works, the stove still gets hot, and the water supply is unaffected.  And so, I made sure to grab some large bags of flour and rice and sugar.  I bought baking soda, salt, and vanilla.  I bought cans of powdered eggs, milk, and butter.  I bought frozen vegetables.  We can live on waffles and round steak and not starve in the event we can't make it to the store!  And even then, I think the grocery stores will remain open as they have in China and Italy.  People just need to chill out and settle in to this new reality first.

I feel calm and ready for this.  Yes, a little apprehensive too because the future is unknown and it's hard not to get caught up in the hype.  (I mean, I'm pregnant.  Enough said, right?)  But mostly, I feel like this might be a really good time to soak in my family and enjoy a slow season being home before this new baby arrives.  We can clean up the yard, soak in the Spring sunshine, play games, read, and watch Disney movies on repeat.

I also believe in the humanity and goodness of my friends and neighbors.  I believe that if one of us is in need, we will show up for one another.  It's all going to be okay.  We'll get through this crazy ordeal together -- one day, one week at a time.  It feels like an ominous and heavy time for the world, but like all things, this too shall pass.  I see this as an opportunity for us to unite and to put our trust in a loving Heavenly Father.

In the mean time, a few funny memes to brighten your day and make you laugh:


^^So far, Idaho is one of the last states to not have a confirmed case of the Coronavirus.^^




      ^^There may not be a March Madness bracket this year, but we have this one which is just as riveting!^^

^^Fake news.  Lol.^^








Good luck out there, guys!

1 comment

  1. I hear you loud and clear! It has been insane around our town -right in the middle of the hot spot here in Washington. The first time I felt like, "life is different now", was going to the dentist and having them make sure I didn't have a fever. My kids schools are cancelled until at least April 27th. Mom school here we go! I'm cheering for Idaho, keep holding strong!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

© Nelson Notes • Theme by Maira G.